Call (402) 375-2200 to get your Radon Test Kit today!*
*NNPHD provides test kits for residents within the health district of Cedar, Dixon, Thurston and Wayne Counties.
We are requesting $5 per test kit.
- Naturally occuring, radioactive gas
- Colorless, tasteless, odorless
- Uranium in the soil that decays to radium then to radon
- Soil, Rocks and Minerals
- Rises through the soil and into the air
- Increases risk of lung cancer
- #1 cause of lung cancer among non-smokers
- Gets trapped in your lungs and causes tissue damage
- Causes about 21,000 deaths per year
- Everyone is at risk but especially children because their lungs are still developing and are sensitive.
- Smokers have a 15 times greater chance of developing lung cancer because of the way tobacco smoke and radon gas react with each other.
The Enviornmental Protection Agency recommends that you fix your home if your radon level is greater than 4 pCi/L.
The state Environmental Health office gathers data yearly to track radon concentrations in all Nebraska Counties. The counties shown above are in the NNPHD district. To see a more detailed map visit http://dhhs.ne.gov/publichealth/Pages/radon_general.aspx .
We are requesting $5 per test kit.* NNPHD provides test kits for residents within the health district of Cedar, Dixon, Thurston and Wayne Counties. Cedar County Cedar County Extension Office 101 East Centre P.O. Box 368 Hartington, NE 68739-0368 Telephone Number: (402) 254-6821 Dixon County Dixon County Extension Office Haskell Agricultural Laboratory 57905 866 Road Concord, NE 68728-0111 Telephone Number: (402) 584-2234 Wayne County Northeast Nebraska Public Health Department 215 N. Pearl Street Wayne, NE 68787 Telephone Number: (402) 375-2200 Wayne County Extension Office 510 N. Pearl St. Ste. C Wayne, NE 68787-1939 Telephone Number: (402) 375-3310 Thurston County Thurston County Extension Office 415 Main St. Box 665 Pender, NE 68047 Telephone Number: (402) 385-6041
- Winter is the best time to test for radon because you need to keep your doors and windows closed during testing
- Pick up a test kit from a location listed above.
- Sign for and provide cash or a check for $5 per kit.
- Follow the directions on the kit.
Where should I place the test kit?
- Lowest lived-in level of your house
- A short-term test takes 3-7 days.
- A long-term test takes 3-12 months.
- Mail your completed test to the lab as soon as possible (postage-paid envelope provided); Completed tests must arrive at the lab within 7 days from the end of the test.
- Check your results at www.radon. com 24 to 48 hours after test kit arrives at lab.
- The Environmental Protection Agency recommends that you fix your home if your radon level is greater then 4 pCi/L.
- When a home's repeated test is above 4 pCi/L, contact NEDHHS for mitigation guidance, http://dhhs.ne.gov/publichealth/Pages/radon_index.aspx, or 402-471-8320.
** Northeast Nebraska Public Health Department does not accept responsibility or liability for the quality of service received. For a complete list of certified radon mitigation contractors, visit:
For more information on radon you can visit the following websites:
Installing a radon mitigation system in your home or business can make you a winner in more than one way!
Mitigating your home protects you and your loved ones from harmful radon gasses that can cause serious health problems like lung cancer.
This year, Northeast Nebraska Public Health Department is holding a drawing for someone to win half of the proceeds from the sale of test kits. If you installed a Radon mitigation system since October 2014 AND live in Cedar, Dixon, Thurston or Wayne County, you qualify for our drawing. To enter, bring in your receipt showing payment for the installation of the mitigation system and address where the installation occurred. The mitigation system must be installed within our health district of Cedar, Dixon, Thurston or Wayne Counties.
Bring in your receipt to our office located at 215 N Pearl Street in Wayne. You can also mail your receipt to us at P.O. Box 68, Wayne, NE 68787 or email us your receipt at email@example.com. If you have any questions, call our office at 402-375-2200 or toll free at 800-375-2260.
The drawing will be held on June 1, 2017 at 10 a.m. You do not need to be present to win.