The Northeast Nebraska Public Health Department believes that health literacy is an important concept to understand. Some easy ways to describe health literacy are by examples and results of using health literacy guidelines.
- Is the way a person finds, understands, and uses basic health information and services to make decisions that will help the person be more healthy.
- Changes the wording of forms and health education brochures to make them easier to read and understand.
- Leads to fewer mistakes in taking medicine.
- Helps the patient understand what the doctor or nurse says about your health.
- Uses pictures and signs to help everyone understand important health information.
- Gives the health information in languages that the reader understands.